So, we were happy for Leah, who turned the big three-oh this weekend (March 19). We are going to get to see quite a bit of Leah and Eric in the coming weeks as Leah is almost due (see all the baby-related posts here recently) and Aunt Carrie and Uncle Grant want to get an early jump on the "favorite aunt and uncle" competition. One thing Caroline and I are both thankful for is family that we enjoy spending time with, so we're looking forward both to Leah and Eric's little bundle of joy and spending time with Leah and Eric.
So, I suppose a follow up to last Saturday's blog is in order. So, the "second lousiest" part of my year is over and like most things that I look forward to, completing my reviews was not as satisfying as I would have hoped. But, I'm still glad they're done. I didn't have to work late hours which helped the stress level this year. I feel bad for some of my teammates who have double the number of reviews to write (they did have to work some late nights to wrap up). I was thankful that Caroline came back to town when she returned last Sunday. I do odd things at odd times when she's not around. I rely on her more than I know and little "vacations" for her remind me of that.
So, I laid my cards on the table in last Saturday's post as to how I might respond to the basketball related events of the weekend just past. One of the many reasons that Caroline and I are "buddies" is that she really is a knowledgable sports fan. We listened/watched the KU / Northern Iowa game on radio/TV (and since I've already admitted that I have small man's syndrome in relation to KU I can admit that I cheered when Ali Faroukmanesahasdfnlk;laksdflnk.lklnfsd's three pointer with seconds remaining hit the net). As we drove over to my buddy Jake's house to watch the 'Cats, I thought about how stupid I would feel for my premature glee if K-State spit the bit against BYU. Luckily for me, Jacob Pullen came to play and poured in 34 points and shut down the celebrated Jimmer Fredette. What a game for the Wildcats. Little production from the inside and a great effort from the underdog Cougars should have spelled doom for K-State, but thanks to Pullen, it didn't. I will say that if K-State has to have 53 again from Pullen and Clemente (although I'm sure they'd welcome a duplication of that effort), they will probably get beat by Xavier. As I said last weekend, I am super happy for the Wildcats (again, not claiming any piece of their success as my own) and even if they get run out of the gym against Xavier, they will have had a great season. It would be really fun if they could continue their run. So, I think the thing that indicated the Wildcats play more than anything was that I spent most of the 2nd half catching up with my friends Grant, Ashley, Jordan and Jake and paying just close enough attention to make sure the 'Cats kept BYU at arms length, which they did.
We are planning to go to Scott City, America this coming weekend to visit my parents and my grandmother, who recently moved from 1207 Elizabeth, where she has lived since before I was born, to a room at Park Lane Nursing Home. I have much admiration for my grandmother. In the interest of brevity, I will describe what you need to know to share my admiration in 4 sentences. Grandma is 88 years old. Grandma (up until now) mowed her own yard. Grandma (up until now) washed her own car. By hand in her driveway. It's the (up until now)'s that make this a bittersweet trip. Grandma is physically in very good condition, but her short term memory is failing her. Grandma is a good sports fan (despite the fact that she rooted for John (horseface) Elway), so I'm hopeful that we'll get to watch the Wildcats play Syracuse/Butler on Saturday with her. Photos to come. Have a good week, everyone!
Very sweet! Your grandma is so sweet. I'm sorry that her memory isn't well, and I hope the move isn't too hard on her. Best wishes in Scott City. I'll let you know when your favorite niece/nephew is on his/her way. Hopefully SOON!!!
ReplyDelete