March 4, 2010

Big Questions

Grant and I lead a small group with our church on Wednesday nights. It has been good for our marriage -- we have had to work together, and I am learning to relax and let Grant lead (which can be a struggle). This semester, we have been attempting to share our stories. We've been doing this though "10 big questions" taking two per night and taking turns sharing. Here are two of them:
What human has shaped you the most and how?
What in your life are you most grateful for?

I decided that my dad has shaped me the most, for multiple reasons. He's been a constant in my life, he was a work at home dad so he was often available for a short chat or to take me to appointments. He is a hard worker and committed guy. He will retire this summer from the job he got right after college. Yeah - that's dedication! He is supportive and always makes sure that my sister and I know he loves us and is proud of us. I know he means it. That's how I hope my kids see me too, as genuine.


A picture of my dad in action - helping re-do my sister's closet.

I am most grateful for relationships. I just recently got a masters in marriage and family therapy, which obviously focuses on relationships. The way things worked out, I got married 6 months into the grad program. After I got married, the classes and things we learned took on a whole new meaning. All of a sudden my world that I could easily control was not easy to control. Living by myself, I was great at taking care of me and feeling like I had everything together. Throw a husband in that mix who naturally has different priorities, I had to adjust. Through relationships, I am reminded that I am not perfect. And that my sinful nature to want to be perfect isn't how God created things. Through relationship, I am taken out of my self-centered universe and reminded that others have great things to offer. I am not perfect, and I don't need to be! (Although I will always have to be reminded of this.)


A picture from graduation.


Hope it is meaningful for you to think about your answers to these questions!

1 comment:

  1. what are the 8 other big questions? I sure do enjoy reading your blog. love you friend.

    ReplyDelete