Finished in five days. Excellent book.
Here's an excerpt from a part I really thought was great...
"Sometimes, when I'm bored, I can't help but think what my life would have been like if I hadn't written the book. Monday, I would have played bridge. And tomorrow night, I'd be going to the League meeting and turning in the newsletter. Then on Friday night, Stuart would take me to dinner and we'd stay out late and I'd be tired when I got up for my tennis game on Saturday. Tired and content and...frustrated.Then she goes on to say:
Because Hilly would've called her maid a thief that afternoon, and I would've just sat there and listened to it. And Elizabeth would've grabbed her child's arm too hard and I would've looked away, like I didn't see it. And I'd be engaged to Stuart and I wouldn't wear short dresses, only short hair, or consider doing anything risky like write a book about colored housekeepers, too afraid he'd disapprove. And while I'd never lie and tell myself I actually changed the minds of people like Hilly and Elizabeth, at least I don't have to pretend I agree with them anymore."LOVE IT. So true. It is easy for me to sit on the sidelines. To be lazy sometimes. To be content with what I've already got. But this helped me realize that work is worth it. Putting forth effort can make a difference, even if in the midst of it, it doesn't feel like it. I'll share more later.
Read the book.
Congratulations on reading a book! I keep getting free kindle books and just downloading them on my computer knowing that eventually I will get to read them (when my son goes to college!).
ReplyDelete