August 5, 2011

One of these is not like the other....and turning 30

I used to be a regular at the 5:30am Friday basketball game at Kansas City Baptist Temple in Raytown. I last played in probably October 2009 after my knee gave me some problems after running my first 1/2 marathon. I had just got out of the habit. And getting back into a habit where you have to wake up at 4:45AM is hard.

So, with my 30th birthday looming, I decided it was time to go back to play a little basketball and prove I wasn't getting too old. As I kissed Caroline goodbye, she sleepily said "Be Careful. Don't get hurt."

Everything was going great for about the first hour. I played OK. I can't play good on-ball defense anymore (maybe I never could) -I'm not quick enough and I don't body up enough. I can, however deny passes, rebound and shoot a little. And that was what I was able to do. So, anyway, like I was saying - it was going pretty well.

Then, I was in with 3 or 4 people going for a loose ball when I felt my ankle roll and went down. Guh. I've rolled my ankle(s) quite a few times before. Never fun. This time it REALLY hurt. I didn't think I was going to make it to work. Ibuprofin is amazing. The ankle feels better, but I don't think I'll be playing basketball anytime soon. Here's a picture.....

No comments:

Post a Comment