July 12, 2010

missing dad

My friend and sorority sister, Kristen, is going through a tragedy right now within her family. Her dad, Larry, went missing on Thursday. This was a big shock to me, as I really like her dad and think of him as a good family guy. I also know Kristen well and never imagined something like this happening to a good friend. Kristen was to be married this coming Saturday, July 17th. There have been no major developments in the case, at least ones that have been released to the public, so it has been a long weekend. He was not suffering from any mental illness and did not otherwise have any major problems in his life.

I attended a prayer vigil last night with Grant as well as my sister. Many of my good friends from Alpha Chi were there. It was a very difficult event to be a part of. Without having any information, really, about what happened, it is seemingly never-ending. We spent time praying, and we prayed that the family would feel hope and support, that the family and police would have energy and direction, that Larry would return home safely, and that the family would draw closer to God during this time of tragedy rather than move away from God. Grant reminded my sister and me that it is a good reminder that there is no true security in the world, no matter how secure you may feel. I am also reminded to love those around me now because there is no guarantee about our future together as family or friends.

Please say a prayer for my friend, her family, and all those who are involved, especially those giving direct emotional support to those in the family at this time.

2 comments:

  1. I am so shaken up about this. Good point that Grant made. Will keep praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to attend the vigil. It is so hard being so far away and feeling so helpless.

    ReplyDelete