July 8, 2010

10 years

This past weekend, Caroline and I traveled to Scott City for my 10 year high school reunion. Scott City has "all-school" reunions, so all classes are welcome to attend. Since I graduated in 2000 - it's handy that it also falls on the traditional milestones. It was a good weekend overall. I played golf a couple times with my dad - hitting the longest drive (cartpath aided) that I've ever hit (on hole #9), I ran a 10k for the first time - around Lake Scott, and got to hang out with my buddies Ronnie and Myles and their families. Of course, that also meant some quality time with my Mom and Dad and Blake and Holly and Bryan - which we always enjoy. My parents are great hosts and I am thankful that my siblings (and our significant others) and I all get along great and enjoy each other.
Class reunions seem to be a time to show off how much money you've made, what a great job you have, what a hot husband/wife you have, what an awesome car you drive, or generally how much better you are than everyone else. And I was sucked right into that game. I was trying to impress people that I thought were cool (and rightfully were/are) and hoped they thought I was cool. I was so thankful for time with Caroline and my buddy Ronnie (while "dragging main" in SC) to un-pack that and remind myself that if I put my identity in my accomplishments / possessions / others opinions of me, I will never be happy or satisfied and will be disappointed. The acceptance I was seeking in others is the mudpie compared to the holiday at the sea (to poorly quote CS Lewis) that is promised in the full acceptance of God and sonship that I have through Jesus death and resurrection. May God give me grace to live in that reality.

In other news....Nobie continues to "leak" on our floor. Hopefully "doggie school" in July will help. Also...our A/C is on the fritz. I tried to play handyman on Tuesday night by replacing some fuses and flipping some breakers. No luck. Luckily, we have a window A/C unit (thanks, Jill and Dave!) that I installed and has kept our bedroom cool. Also, thankfully, it's been a cool week in KC - with lots of rain. So, we're fortunate that we don't have smoking hot temperatures like the folks on the east coast.

So, Caroline, Mom and Dad, Holly and Bryan, Blake, Myles and Liz, Ronnie and Haley...thanks for a great weekend. And here's to the SCHS Class of 2000. Go Beavers! Thanks for the memories (at least most of them) and the good reminder. See you in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment