June 15, 2011

sewing project

I've come to enjoy sewing a lot more than I used to. I recently made a high chair cover for Vera's high chair. We got the high chair from Grant's grandparents, Vera and A.R. I believe that it was Grant's uncle's and dad's high chair as kids. You can see it in the background of this photo from when Grant was a little kid (love the Halloween costumes!).



Luckily, Grant's mom, Linda, was in town a couple weeks ago, and she is very good at sewing. She suggested I make a prototype out of some scrap fabric, and once I did that she helped me adjust things. I was then able to trace it to make a pattern. I bought quilted fabric so that I didn't have to sew multiple sides. As a bonus, it is reversible fabric so the inside print shows on parts of it. And I used bias tape for the seam. It turned out to be an easier project and more successful than I could have predicted! I made it as a "chair cover" and the fabric just comes up between her legs and then  it has a strap that ties around her waist and in the back.





Now Vera has a safe spot to sit as she learns to eat solids!


Someday she'll be happy to sit here!


2 comments:

  1. Great work sis! I think you could sell those on etsy. It's way cute and Vera is a DOLL! Thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete