June 10, 2011

Lose, Lose, Lose

So, yesterday I was driving home from work, listening to the Royals. It was the top of the 9th, Royals up 3-2, Joakim Soria in to pitch. 1st hitter - lazy fly ball. 2nd hitter - single, 3rd hitter - single, 4th hitter - strikeout, 5th hitter - walk. So....about the 3rd hitter in there, I was almost home (p.s. what is up with the Royals playing 3:10 games this year?).

Here were my options (as I saw them)....
1) circle the block and hope Soria could close the deal by the time I got back to the house
2) park and run in to listen to the end of the game in the house
3) abandon my favorite team in their hour of need and forget about the game

#3 was obviously ruled out quickly (lose). I also know that Caroline does not like it when I come in the door and turn on the radio, so I decided to circle the block (lose).

Soria did end up closing out the game, but not quickly. So, I was back at the house and decided to go in. Unbeknownst (any day you can work that word into a sentence is a good day) to me, Caroline was on the porch.
"Did you drive by like 5 minutes ago?" Busted (lose).
I tried (in vain) to explain my reasoning to Caroline. Luckily, she is kind and gracious and found it funny.
Alls well that ends well, I guess. Soria did get the 3rd out without giving up a run. The Royals won. And we both got a good laugh out of one of my many eccentricities and my attempts to explain those eccentricities (with our babysitter present, who now thinks we're both really weird). Is that a win? Duh, winning!

2 comments: