January 1, 2012

the dollhouse, diy

For Christmas, I redecorated a dollhouse for Aya. The dollhouse was put together by my grandpa, Keith Campbell, in the early 1990s. We never finished painting/decorating them as kids. Here are the pics of it when I saved it from my parent's basement in early August.




After many hours of work, and a lot of fun, here's the dollhouse:





I really enjoyed putting it together. I spent most of my time roofing the house. The inside includes a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and attic. I used scrapbook paper + modge podge to add some "wallpaper", and painted each room a bright color. I used scrap fabric that I already had to make curtains. My parents (amazingly) still had all the dollhouse furniture, and I just diy-ed it a little bit. I even added a Christmas tree for fun. 

Leah asked my mom to buy Aya a dollhouse earlier this fall for Christmas. Luckily my mom was able to keep a secret!! Leah said this house was way better than the one she had picked out. My mom bought some dollhouse people since I was covering the dollhouse! It is also extra special since it was put together by Aya's great grandpa. He died in 1993.

It is definitely not perfect. I don't recommend this project if you're going for perfection. The wallpaper is not perfect, and I used hot glue for a lot of the decorating. (I have a new love for the glue gun!) I really enjoyed giving it, though. I totally recommend doing something special for someone - this was a ton of fun to give!

3 comments:

  1. It is very special and we love it! I can't even imagine all the time you put into it. That's what makes it so special. Aya loves it and I do too! Thank you dear sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and it is amazing that Mom kept a secret! Wow! I'll have to remember that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its beautiful!!! such a sweet gift.

    ReplyDelete