January 21, 2012

Foster Care, Week 6

Life is going alright here at our house. We've made it through another week. My brain feels like mush, so I'm not exactly sure that this post will be complete.

The necessities to foster care, at this point:

  • a dishwasher
  • patience
  •  
And that's the list. We've run the dishwasher twice today. And I'm also doing laundry for the second time this week. Buzz is going to have to start wearing his pjs twice before I wash again. The laundry is getting too full. Buzz's sister is coming to stay with us soon, and she's visited twice already. Our system will have to shift, but I think we'll be able to make things work. The dishwasher might run an extra time each day, and my patience may be tried a little more, but I think we'll enjoy it.

Today Grant and Vera went to Kindermusik for the first time. Vera gave it to him for Christmas. (ha!) Grant really enjoyed it, though. I thought it would be a good time to get one-on-one with Vera. We hang out with her all the time, but probably don't pay as much direct attention to her as we should. He said it was a lot of fun and perfect for Vera's age and stage.

Foster care is a daily challenge because it is real life. I've said it before, but it is professional parenting. Buzz needs extra help maturing emotionally. And pair that with me expecting him to act like a 6 year old, and he doesn't always meet the expectations. Grant and I are starting to realize, though, that it's not all him. Not that we thought we were perfect, but we do know that our responses to his requests matter. How we handle things shows him who we are. And who we are isn't what we hoped... although that points us straight to Christ, because we are nothing without Him, to which we become overwhelmingly thankful. Praise God for saving us, because we are not worthy without Christ. 

anyway, 
get yourself a dishwasher and some patience, 
and become a foster parent!


No comments:

Post a Comment