December 24, 2010

newborns

Well, Miss Vera is 2 weeks old tomorrow. Her birthday will always be two weeks to the day before Christmas. That's kind of fun. Besides that, apparently I had no idea about this "newborn" stage. It is HARD! She eats, sleeps, mostly doesn't cry - although she is now, and sometimes doesn't sleep when we want her to. She is beautiful and sweet, though, making it all worth it. I have been on an emotional roller coaster. It is hard to want to do things but not be able to - because I need to nap or shower.

If you have any advice on surviving newborn stage, please let me know! I welcome any tips or tricks to survive. I'm trying not to count-down too much, but I really want to.

Here's the list of things I found to be thankful for in the NICU.
The doctor being there when I arrived
The nurses and doctor staff
My parents coming right away and then being able to wait with Grant and see Miss Vera when she was wheeled out
My parents taking care of me when I woke up after the surgery
Leah and Eric and Greg and Linda arriving
Supportive nurses
Baby Vera
Friends to call
NICU nurses
Grant's willingness and availability to help
Food! :) (there was a day I couldn't even drink water!)

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats again to you guys! So glad you're all doing well now. The newborn stage is hard! Things I will try to do next time:

    1) Really, really be ok with not having a clean house, clean clothes, etc. Just survive the first sleepless months. Let everything that's not truly necessary slide a little. It really will be ok. :)
    2) Watch a fun tv series or movies in the middle of the night instead of being frustrated that you're not sleeping.
    3) Relax. The first child is so nerve-wracking because everything is new. But they (and you) really will be fine.
    4) Consider bottle feeding some in the night. This one is probably very controversial :), but you have to do what works best for your family. And I think more sleep would've been beneficial for my entire family (and my emotions).

    Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help - seriously! And let me know how I can sign up to bring you a meal! I'm sure you guys are amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete