December 21, 2010

Baby Vera's Birth

Grant posted a couple of updates from the hospital so everyone would know Vera Claire had arrived! We are now home and are adjusting to life with a baby! :) Baby Vera's arrival did not go as expected - she was born about 25 minutes after we arrived at the hospital the morning of Saturday 12/11, her due date! Her heart rate was very low (scary), and I had some meconium (baby poo), showing that she was under stress. So, within about 5 minutes, they were wheeling me off to a c-section. Grant wasn't able to witness the birth, nor was I, given the emergency of it. I was put under anesthesia, and Grant was in a waiting room. It was very scary!

Luckily, Baby Vera immediately responded when she was born and had good breathing. She unfortunately inhaled meconium and had to go to the NICU. She was treated for 7 days of antibiotic. It was miserable - I was very sick recovering from the C-section at first, and Grant was divided between seeing me and baby right at first. We had plenty of blessings throughout the whole experience - ones that I will hopefully mention over time on here - but it was very scary and stressful. Starting Monday evening, we went every 3 hours to the NICU to feed Vera. We would walk down there, change her, feed her (or try to feed her!), and I would pump breast milk (or try, again). Then we would walk back to our room. Oh, and note, our room was FAR away from the NICU. I never thought we'd make it to the end of the week. But we did. We survived. And we cared for our baby in the midst of it. Grant and I believe it was for our good. We were able to care for our baby and each other and now are home!

Having a baby to care for is definitely more work than I ever imagined. I realize (and hope) that Vera will grow up and slowly become more independent. I am doing well caring for her an hour at a time, which is about as far as I need to think at this point.

I'll have some more pictures once I can find my computer cord for my camera!
We love Vera very much! Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers for us.

4 comments:

  1. Whew! What a journey! So glad you are all home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guys are doing better! Welcome home Vera!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you guys are okay. man, that sure is a story! we are thankful vera is here safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a strong woman! Vera's birth has made you and Grant an even stronger couple and that much more prepared. So happy little Vera is doing well and is home safely. Love you! Can't wait to meet the little one.

    ReplyDelete