May 14, 2010

The end of an era?

So...Wednesday was a crazy weather day in KC. Lots of rain in a short amount of time. I headed home from work and went to Costco to get some supplies and when I got back to my car it wouldn't start. I figured it just got wet and went back later to get it. It still wouldn't start. Or at least not very well. It would only run at about 3000 RPM +. So...left foot on the brake - right foot on the gas - switching back and forth between neutral and drive (and leaving black marks all down Gillham Rd.) I managed to putter White Lightning to the shop.

Some background for those of you unaware. White Lightning is my beloved 1995 Mercury Cougar XR7 "special edition" and we have been together since August 6, 1997 when my parents gave me that car for my 16th birthday. It's been a GREAT car - this is the first time it's left me stranded - ever. We've been through a lot together. Dragging main in high school, moving to K-State, moving to Kansas City after college. A lot has happened in the 12+ years we've been together. It's been broken into 3 times since I've lived in Kansas City and currently has no radio for that reason. It's spun backwards with me on an icy street in Scott City. It has run to 100 mph where the fuel cuts off when I'm being an angry jerk - or bored on Highway 4 in western Kansas. It's been with me for about 180000 miles (give or take...it had 24k when I got it and the odometer currently reads 182289, but hasn't turned for about 2 years).

Well...the Value Auto Clinic was able to replace the air flow sensor and get her running again. But...that's probably the beginning of the end for White Lightning. I may end up having to look for some new wheels (there's a possibility I may get to drive a ride that's already in the family -but that's another post for another day). It's a sad day, but it was bound to come. Maybe I'll get ambitious and dig up some old pics of White Lightning in her glory days for you all. Like my awesome senior picture from high school. Or maybe not in the interest of saving face. Maybe I'll have to take White Lightning for one more memorable trip before she peters out completely.

2 comments:

  1. wow! i'm impressed for multiple reasons...you've had that car for a long time! and you sound like you really know what you're doing. if my car broke down, i would immediately call clay seeing as how i have not a clue what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo! Not white lightning!!!!

    ReplyDelete