So, my Dad was a great sports fan and so I have tons of sports related memories with him. Football was his favorite, so this football season has triggered tons of memories. Dad loved the Marty-ball era Chiefs and they're kind of getting back to that style of football (and winning) so that reminds me of Dad. Last night's Chiefs game would have driven my dad absolutely bonkers (questionable officiating, Chiefs squandering opportunities, game down to the wire etc), but he would have enjoyed it. Would love to have debriefed with him Tuesday. All of K-State's improbable wins have reminded me of Dad, too. He started liking K-State because I started liking K-State (before I went to school there and before my brother played on the team for a year). Dad would have loved the underdog 'Cats beating more talented teams.
What stinks about this grieving process is that seemingly everything fun or happy is tainted. Even very happy memories of time with Dad now makes me take that deep breath. I'm guessing over time that those memories will be happy memories again - and not bittersweet like they are now. I think the thing that makes the memories hard now is that they are memories only - not things we'll get to do again together. And maybe that's true of all memories, and we just like to think that we can re-create them again.
I have great memories of Dad and I'm very thankful for those memories. It's just hard to remember and not feel the twinge and take that deep breath.
Some good memories (sorry, no pictures) of fall with Dad:
Chiefs games on Sunday afternoons after church (during visiting time after church, Dad would sneak out to the car and listen to the first few minutes on the radio before we could get home)
Listening to K-State games on the radio (pre Big 12 TV contracts) while driving or pheasant hunting on Saturday afternoons.
Pheasant hunting on Thanksgiving morning (Dad hauling my sorry and tired butt out of bed about 6:30) to go freeze and likely not get any pheasants.
Dad trading in his summer short sleeve dress shirts for his standard long sleeve dress shirts and V-neck sweaters.
Going to Scott City football games (even road games) when I was young. Right before kickoff, my Dad would always yell "Go Blue!" loud enough that when I played, I could hear it in the huddle.
I know I'm lucky to have those and many more memories. I'm looking forward to the time when these memories are sweet again.
Hi Grant,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your memories with us. I can't believe that I never knew that you went pheasant hunting with your dad! I'm sure that was a lot of fun. Grieving is hard; we're praying for you and your family. If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call or email or anything. Lots of love to you.
Leslie (posting as Brad as usual) :)
Hey Brother,
ReplyDeleteReading your post makes me think about all the things that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to stand this Thanksgiving without dad. I will miss waking up and knowing that you guys are out hunting and waiting for you return. I will miss dad and you guys sitting and watching whatever football game is on. I will miss Dad telling me to go help mom in the kitchen. I will not know what to do without dad there to carve the turkey and nibble on it. I will miss dad's common but heartfelt prayer before lunch. I will miss hearing dad's laugh as he tells one of his favorite stories about Grandpa. I will miss putting up the Christmas lights with dad and picking out the perfect Christmas tree. When do these memories stop stinging? We will miss you and the girls so much this holiday. I love you brother.