So, happy Valentine's Day! A sappy, FTD/Hallmark/Russell Stover holiday, I know, but perhaps not completely worthless because it was a prompt at least for me to think about Caroline and how much I am thankful for her. She really is a wonderful mother to Vera and a wonderful wife. Don't worry, Vera - you are, of course, also my Valentine by default. Nobie even got in on the act this year - I gave her a pancake with peanut butter all over it (and Caroline and I gave her a trip to a wonderful magical land called Ms. Maria's house - who loves her own dogs a lot and lets them and Nobie give her all the kisses she can stand).
I said this was random, right?
So, I am far too late getting in on this to be cool, but I've really been enjoying Mumford and Sons. You know that you're late in getting in on good music when you only beat the dudes on the 810 sports radio morning show by about a week in buying music. Not that the 810 morning show guys aren't cool and up and up on pop culture - I'll just say normally, they don't seem like the people I'd go to for music advice. Anyway - late to the party, but very enjoyable album. Also - I missed it live on the Grammy's due to Vera having a minor meltdown (and me almost having a meltdown worrying about her health - don't worry - she's fine!), but saw Mumford and Sons and Bob Dylan playing Maggie's Farm live on the interwebs today. I'm a sucker for anything Bob Dylan (except - I did NOT drop money on the "mono" recordings), and I really enjoyed that performance. One question I have - what does it say about our popular culture that suddenly, what's old is now cool again? I mean - Mick Jagger (or an alien posing as Mick Jagger - who dances like that at 70-ish???) and Bob Dylan playing the Grammys, the late career albums by Johnny Cash, Solomon Burke, Mavis Staples, etc. all being cool in the last few years. Does it just take us a long time to recognize and appreciate good music and the people that have made it for a long time? Anyway - interesting that Mumford and Sons, Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan playing Maggie's Farm was considered a tribute to a comeback of acoustic music when I'm pretty sure that this song was one that Dylan and the Butterfield Blues Band ripped through at the Newport Folk Festival and made people that really liked acoustic music really angry about Dylan plugging in.
And for the last piece or randomness.....
I have waited a long time to witness a K-State victory over KU in men's basketball (they don't come often as you may have noticed) and I got my wish tonight. K-State could lose out in Big 12 play, and I'll still look back fondly at this season for this one game alone (I know, I have little man syndrome when thinking about the J-hawks compared to my Wildcats). Hopefully, this will be a shot in the arm and help the Wildcats revive their season (I thought they were dead after the heartbreaker at Colorado last Saturday). I have really enjoyed watching Jacob Pullen play throughout his career at K-State and it was fun to watch him go off tonight. Go Cats!
No comments:
Post a Comment