Back to the point, NFM offered to install the stove for $60. Me (and my ego) turned them down. A $30 installation kit, a $10 pipe wrench and 2 trips to Home Depot later, I had everything I needed to get this stove turned on. Despite my best efforts and an hour of cranking with my shiny new pipe wrench, all that I had to show for my efforts was the faint smell of natural gas and a wife who was afraid that I was going to blow up our house.
So, I'd tried and failed - or so I thought. With a fresh injection of confidence from some handy friends at work, I headed home tonight and cranked a little longer. Hopefully, I cranked back on the gas and started sniffing. Nothing. Good sign. Gingerly, I spread the dishsoap solution over the connections (per the directions). No bubbles. Boo yah. Caroline was still apprehensive. 10 minutes...more dishsoap...more sniffing. Nothing. After a quick prayer, I plugged in the stove. By grace, the northwest corner of our house is still in tact and I'm typing this, so I'm still alive. Burners tested, check. Oven tested, check.
So, I'm not quite ready to put up a handyman for hire shingle, but maybe I'm not quite as dumb as I felt last night. Still dumb. Just not quite as dumb as I thought.
ON an unrelated note...this is my introductory blog. Hopefully that wasn't too boring for everyone. Have a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment