So, I have missed the target on my last 2 long runs. I missed running 14-16 in Scott City, America a couple weeks back due to time constraints (ran about 10) and I missed my 16-18 run this past weekend. I started on the run and made it all about 13 miles in and then had to walk the last 4-5 miles home (embarassing and tiring!).
So, here are my "don'ts" so far:
1) run in the rain - especially a warm, sticky rain. Your clothes will get wet and heavy (as will your shoes). And the rain won't cool you off.
2) run when you're not sure if you're hydrated or not. If you have to wonder, you're probably not
3) wait until 10 miles in to further hydrate (too late!)
4) try to run again after stopping (cramps)
5) attempt a long run after a week of not getting much sleep
6) attempt a long run after a week of not eating very well (5 and 6 seem to go together, don't they?)
7) attempt a long run after a week of not getting all my prescribed workouts in that week (5, 6 and 7 definitely go together)
8) be too proud to stop and ask someone to use their phone to call for a ride
So...the next couple weeks are big ones for this attempt at a marathon. I have a down week this week, then 18-20 a week from Saturday, then another down week and then 20-22 the weekend following. Then, it's downhill until the marathon. I need to get these ones done to build confidence again as I'm kind of doubting my ability to finish this darn thing at the moment.
So, I kind of need to get this done (if I'm ever gonna do this) as 1) I'm not getting younger and 2) I will not (until I am probably too old to attempt) have enough time again to train. So, hopefully I can get this train back on the track and get going again.

Knock it out man. I've never ran one, but chased my wife on my bike while she ran two of them (both Chicago). Loved the environment and atmosphere when a group of people gather to do something insanely... Hmm what’s the word... Well, we'll just go with insane. Something insanely insane. You can do it!
ReplyDeleteGood luck. The key is consistent training. Try to work on 5-7 and I'm sure you will do great in your marathon.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you, Grant! You can totally do this. I don't know if I know a more determined person than you, so I'm fully confident that you can run a marathon and do it well. :)
ReplyDelete