It's been awhile since I posted and I figured the Wilco show last week would be great blog material. Caroline and I saw Wilco for the first time with our friends Steve and Maria about 2 years ago at Crossroads KC Last Tuesday, we got a chance to see them again at Crossroads KC. The Wilco show 2 years ago was also our introduction to Andrew Bird who opened that night - another Helmers family music favorite (thanks, Wilco). Interesting how life cycles - 2 years ago, we were celebrating the birth of Ryla - daughter of friends Sara and Jorun and this time we're celebrating the birth of Ezra - son of friends Alex and Andrea. Exciting stuff.
Caroline and I enjoyed their 2+ hour set - in spite of the cold weather. Highlights for me were Bull Black Nova - which I really like in spite of the dark tone of the song. Caroline and I had discussed which songs we'd like to see Wilco play - well, I told Caroline which songs I'd like to see Wilco play, and I'd mentioned that I'd like to hear "At Least That's What You Said" because I like the transition (the pounding piano) and the long instrumental to close the song. Caroline said that she wasn't sure which song that was, so asked me to tap her on the shoulder twice if they played the song. I got my wish about 5 or 6 songs in. We saw another good opener - Liam Finn who looped his guitar along with his drumming to sound like a full band. Funniest moment of the night - my friend Kevin leaned over and said "dude - that guy drums exactly like Animal from the Muppets," which was a spot on observation. Thanks, Kevin and Katie, Wes and Melissa for the good company. It was also great to see my friend Tim at the concert.
We got a chance to host my sister and her husband as well as my brother and uncle last weekend at our house. Our house isn't 100% perfect for hosting yet (all six o us crowded into a bedroom to watch the end of the Florida / LSU game and the Chiefs game Sunday was funny, but perhaps that makes it all the more fun. Caroline is a gracious host.
I have a few more thoughts, but it'll probably be in everyone's best interests if I organize those thoughts before putting fingers to keys. I'm going to attempt to run the 1/2 marathon at the KC Marathon on Saturday, so succeed or fail - I'll let you know how it goes. I'll be running with an experienced marathoner - Eric, which should help.
Have a good week, everyone-
No comments:
Post a Comment