October 11, 2009

Navs Main Event

This weekend, Grant and I had the opportunity to host 6 college students for dinner on Saturday night. They were in Kansas City for the Navigators Main Event. The students we hosted were from Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville MO. We'll have to go visit the campus sometime - they said it is pretty nice. Grant and I were both involved with The Navigators campus ministry at KSU. During college, it was a great way to intersect faith with college life. It is a unique time in life as everyone is very close in age (18-22 or so) which provides for a unique learning opportunity. The students shared that the theme for their weekend was "reality". We were invited to give a perspective to them as to life after college. I invited my good friend Sarah K over as we were friends in Navs as well as Alpha Chi in college. It was good for all three of us to be able to share a bit about our transitions from fun college to the "real" world. I hope that the students were encouraged by us. I also hope they will remember the general theme of what we said when they are done: its not easy, but it does work out. :)

Here's a photo (minus Sarah - the photographer):


Funny notes about the evening: I didn't exactly know who to expect (big guys/small ladies), so I made a really big recipe of chicken pot pie. Turns out the bigger you make it the harder it is to cook. It was yummy, just took awhile. Also, I set off the fire alarm because of drippings in the oven. Oh, but the fire alarm went off DURING Grant's prayer before the meal! :) Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment